Saturday, May 7, 2011

Place the Pot Upside Down, and the Girl Will Take After her Mother

أقف القدرة على فمها، تطلع البنت لامها
(ekfi el-edrah 3ala fummaha, tetla3 el-bent le 2umaha)
"Place the Pot Upside Down, and the Girl Will Take After her Mother"


It's been a while since I've posted, but things have been quite rocky lately. And unfortunately the one thing I really couldn't do (and still shouldn't be doing) is sit in front of a laptop and type. Because everything right now in front of me is a bit blurry (literally). Thankfully, it's nothing serious and will just take time to heal, but it's been quite an emotional roller coaster dealing with doctors, the ER, the kids, my own inner feelings. 


It was so hard going through this mini health crisis and trying to be a mom at the same time. There were moments where I just felt helpless - I didn't know what to do or say, and my kids would just look at me and ask if I was OK. I could barely help with homework, and my patience was lacking. I felt horrible. But I have to give credit to my beautiful boys Y and Z. Y would see me crying, and come up to me with a big hug and kisses, and say..."mommy, it's going to be OK inshaAllah. Salamtek (arabic for get better soon). Rabbina Yustor." And Z would just come up and snuggle and hug and kiss me. I have never felt so helpless, or vulnerable. I didn't know what was next, what the future was holding. All I could think about was, am I going to be able to see my kids grow up? Will I be able to see what they look like? Am I going to be able to get through this?


But the one thing that I missed most was having my own mommy around - she has the best hugs, and prayers, and always makes me feel better. And I know she didn't want me to worry...she was staying strong for me, but I know that she was worried sick and praying to God that everything was ok. And as soon as I got the good news about my eyes and I spoke to my mom, I heard her burst into tears telling me that she was on her way driving up to see me (even though she was scheduled to fly up to my sister who just recently became a mom to son #2) and that she's just been wanting to reach out and hug me. I was sitting in the middle of the doctor's office trying to maintain my composure, fighting back the tears. I've never felt so loved.  


Which is why I dedicate today's posting to her. Perfect timing that tomorrow is Mother's Day :) I love you Mom :)


I still don't know how she did it while my sisters and I were growing up - dad was traveling the world for work. There were years where he was gone 9 months of the year, and mom would be the one to hold the fort down - she was the one taking care of us (5 children mashaAllah), handling most of the household duties, and at one point working full time. She's been through so many trials and tribulations, but she's always remained strong. I admire that in my mom - I don't know how she does it. 


My mom is an amazing woman (mashaAllah). Her beauty, strength, and resolve never cease to amaze me. May God protect you always Mom and give you the health and happiness always inshaAllah. May He protect you from other's envy and evil thoughts and deeds. I only hope that I can be half the woman that you are. I sure hope the saying is right, that I will take after you, especially in all of your wonderful qualities (mashaAllah). You inspire me to become a better woman, sister, friend, and above all mother. I hope that when my children are adults,  they are as proud of me as I am of you.


And a Happy Mother's Day to all of the moms out there, especially the hard-working, single mothers who have so much weight on their shoulders. I'm sure your mothers are/would be proud of you. They must have been amazing women, because they taught you so well - to stand tall under pressure. Because as the saying goes..."Place the Pot Upside Down, and the Girl Will Take After her Mother"

4 comments:

  1. Salamtik! I am so sorry I didn't know that you weren't well...i would've called. And Mabrouk alf Mabrouk on the new nephew!! Happy mama's day to you buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautiful Radwa.. rabena yebareklek f mama w ye7'aleeko l ba3d insha' Allah...
    and once again, alf 7amdella 3ala salamtek.. rabena yebareklek f 7ayatek w ye7'aleeki l weladek.. you have two gems that I am sure will make you proud insha' Allah!

    Love,
    Fatma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are all better, insh'Allah! Your mom is incredible! I remember my mom taking us to her halaqas.

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback and comments are always appreciated! :)