Monday, April 18, 2011

No Smoke Without Fire

لا دخان بدون نار
"No Smoke Without Fire"

What you may not know about me is that I'm a young, divorced, single mother to two young boys. In my posts, I'll call them Y (10 yrs old) and Z (5.5 yrs old). I've been divorced for over five years now, and it has definitely been a struggle adjusting to my new life. Being divorced is a challenge, being a divorced mother is a bigger challenge, and being a divorced, Muslim mother of two has been the biggest challenge. Divorce is such a taboo topic in our Muslim community and unfortunately women who are divorced are always looked down upon. We're always pointed at, credited with being the "cause" of why "he left her." Well I won't get into that topic (believe me I could talk for ages about that), but all I have to say is just be courteous and leave it up to God to be the judge. It's been such a struggle dealing with this because I know very few women that are in my shoes that I can relate to, and I hope one day I can form a single Muslim moms support group to help others get through the good, the bad, and the ugly. I thank God for giving me the strength, patience, and will to be able to raise my two young sons on my own, and I thank him for blessing me with all of the amazing happenings in my life that have made this struggle so much easier. But I digress...

Given that background, last night was a tough night. One of the bonuses bestowed upon us single moms is dealing with the oh-so-wonderful behavior change in our kids when they come home from the "other" parents house. Oh how fun it is! So last night's chain of events:

- Y rings the doorbell about a hundred times (as he customarily does). C'mon, we all know mom should be ready immediately and no delays!
- Yours truly attempts to say salam (hello) to Y, who so nicely ignores me and storms right past me as he
walks in with a boatload of crap - from clothes left at dad's house, to backpacks to papers to soccer gear. Whatever, you name it!
- Z walks in half asleep complaining that he's tired, and already whining that he wants to go to bed
- Y screams at Z because Z isn't helping him with bringing all of the stuff from the car (um, where is dad in all of this?). It takes two trips for Y to bring all the stuff...
- Y and Z have finally trekked into the house and I customarily walk up the stairs right behind them to tuck them into bed.

And the conversation (or lack thereof) between Y and me continues:

Me (to Y, as I climb up the side of the bunk-bed to give him a kiss and hug and say evening prayers): "Good night habibi"
 (Y squirms to the far side of the bed straight up against the wall, and doesn't respond)
Me (to Y again): "Y, I said goodnight. Are you going to even say anything to me?"
Y: "NO. I'm mad"
Me: "At me?"
Y: "NO. At Z"
Me: "Um ok...So what does that have to do with me?"
(silence)
Me: "OK, so am I going to get a kiss or not?"
(silence, and more squirming against the wall)
Me (to Z, who has since managed to fall asleep in two minutes flat): "Good night habibi"
(one last attempt with Y)
Me: "OK, I guess you don't want to talk to me. Mashi."

So the questions begin to pop into my head. Hmm, I wonder why he's behaving like this? I don't get it. They've had a good weekend...Y was in the soccer championship in his league, but unfortunately lost. Z had a soccer game. The weather was gorgeous. I'm in a good mood after having a time to re-charge myself so I can be a good mom, especially after an extremely rough, stressful few weeks. 

And of course, the devil starts playing with my mind. Did I say or do something wrong? I welcomed them home with open, loving arms. Why is it I always get the difficult end? Maybe his dad said something to him about me? 

And then I realize, at least part of it is just because of the change. Dad's house is full of fun, no schoolwork, no discipline. It's all about the park, playing outside, playing computer games, watching tv. And Y and Z are back to mom's house - the evil house where we have to do our homework, go to bed on time, have limited tv time, limited DSi time. It's back to the nitty gritty. The wonderful rules. Police mom.

*Sigh*

But I'm not convinced that's the only reason why Y was behaving that way. There's got to be a reason why he refused to even say hello to me, much less kiss me goodnight. And you bet, I'm going to find out...

Because, as the saying goes...there is "no smoke without fire".

5 comments:

  1. I love this post dooda! It sounds like Y is just starting the pre-teen phase a little early! Rabbina ma3aki.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Yusra. But added to that pre-teen phase it doesn't help that the other house is the "fun" one. He might not show it, but I'm sure he totally appreciates you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing ya gameel. I cannot think of anyone better to talk about this and explain things to the rest of us single mama's. I have and always will appreciate your advice - you are on point.

    Akkkh, I'm going through the same fun stuff with my lil ones too. Love the sweet reception after they return, right? ;-) Hang in there babe, and keep posting...we want more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I just wrote a lengthy post and it got eaten up by Google!! To repeat, I think you are an inspiration to single mums everywhere, irrespective of religion. You're well grounded, firm yet affectionate, and you have your children's best interests at heart. I think that our society has also progressed somewhat from the archaic mentality of our parents. You know the one, where women were willing to stay in unhappy marriages for the sake of the children, and more often, so that they weren't the target of neighbourly gossips. Nowadays more and more women are coming to the logical conclusion that a marriage where both parties are miserable does not benefit anyone, least of all the children, and that being happy is not dependent on being "together". Hopefully it will get easier for future generations.

    Unfortunately, you're now experiencing that pre-teen stage of rebellion. My advice would be to have a meeting with the co-parent so that your efforts aren't sabotaged. Seriously, if the other parent thinks they can get away with being the fun parent due to their lackadaisical parenting style, then maybe get them to do more of the mundane stuff that you've had to shoulder over the years. Send him with homework, get the co-parent to respect your rules. The last thing you need is attitude and ingratitude for all the sacrifices you are making.

    Love the blog, Ms R. Will await your next post with baited breath!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Luck 7abibti! You have so much on your plate, and Y seems to be starting those teen years early. But believe me, the payoff will be big inshaAllah when he realizes that you were always there for him. His love and gratitude in the future inshaAllah will make all these trials worth it. Again, I wish you luck...keep me in your du3a' and I will do the same. --Menat (sorry, I'm a tech retard so can't get a proper ID to post with. For now I am "anonymous")

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback and comments are always appreciated! :)